Special Offers!



Monument-symbol of Thessaloniki. Fortified tower of the 16th century. – built during the reign of Suleiman B’ of the Magnificent, during the years 1535-1536 -, which was then used as a janissary guard accommodation and death row prison. It was built on the site of a pre-existing Byzantine tower, which connected the eastern part of the fortification of Thessaloniki with the sea. It was called 'Blood Tower'’ and got its current name in the 19th century. The 1985 restored and houses the 'Museum for the history and art of Thessaloniki'.


It is part of the Galerian Complex in the SE part of the historical center of Thessaloniki. It was built 305 A.D., after the definitive victory of the emperor Galerius Balerius Maximianus against the Persians. Victory is the main theme of the relief decoration of the monument, which had the typology of an octapillar with four central massive pessos, four secondary ones at the sides, equal number of arches and low globular dome. It was connected to the palaces of Galerius and the Rotunda. Today, only part of the west wing of the octapylos survives – two main pessos and one secondary, connected by a brick arch.


Administrative and religious center of Thessaloniki in Roman times, was built around the 300 A.D. in the southeastern sector of the city. The central core of the surviving building remains consists of a courtyard with a peristyle, around which various spaces are formed. The most important building of the complex is the Octagon, which was intended for a throne room. The palaces bordered the Hippodrome to the east, whose ruins are located on the foundations of apartment buildings in Hippodrome square. The length of the building exceeded 400 m. Around the arena there were seats for a large number of spectators and a separate gallery for the emperor.

H POTONTA (tel. 2310 204414)

Circular vaulted building, on the basis of which, internally, eight large rectangular niches are opened. It was built by Galerius around 300 A.D. and towards the end of the 4th c. it was converted into a Christian temple and decorated with mosaics of high art. The 1590-1591 turned into a mosque. After the liberation of the city (1912) was attributed to Christian worship and, subsequently, it was used as a sculpture museum, until its earthquakes 1978.


on the waterfront. On the beach of Thessalniki


A temple was revealed under the road surface, martyrdom and early Christian tombs of A’ cemetery. It is dated to the 4th-7th century.

SAINT DHMHTPIOS (tel. 2310 270591)

It was built on the ruins of a Roman bath. The first temple was a small shrine, which was founded after the 313. In the 5th c. the prefect Leontios founded a three-aisled basilica, where it burned 626 and 634. Immediately after, Bishop Ioannis founded a five-aisled basilica, which was converted into a mosque 1493. Tο 1917 burned in the Thessaloniki fire, restored and got it working again 1949. The church is a five-aisled basilica with a narthex and a transversal aisle, with a crypt under the sanctuary and transept (it functions as a museum space) and attached to its southeast corner is the chapel of Agios Euthymios, which was painted on 1303. From his fire 1917 relics were saved only of the brilliant sculptural and painted decoration of the temple, representing various phases of its history.


The wall of late antiquity, which we cannot trace along its entire length, was built in the middle of the 3rd century.,
with a simple system: intermittent towers, which were joined by impotent post-towers. The perimeter of these walls formed the basis of the Byzantine fortification, with the only addition being the Acropolis. The Byzantine wall was more well-maintained and a ridge was built on the outer side of the Roman, which acted as a backstop. The fortification was more careful in the lowlands, where there were triangular cantilevers, while square towers were built in the most secure ones. The wall was built at the end of the 4th century. or at the beginning of the 5th century and was not altered much in the later course of the city. Before 100 for about years it was considered an obstacle to the development of the city and it was decided to demolish it in parts.


It was built around the middle of the 5th century. in the ruins of a Roman bath and was dedicated to the name of the Virgin. It was the first temple that after the fall of Thessaloniki, the 1430, turned into a mosque. It was attributed to Christian worship 1930. It is a three-aisled basilica with a narthex on the west side and a second entrance with a monumental propylon in the middle of the south side. To the east of the propylon there is an addition, baptistery or parsonage. A small chapel is created at the eastern end of the north aisle. The temple has sculpture, mosaic and painting decoration. Mosaics from the 5th century have been preserved. inside the arches and frescoes of the 13th c. in the south aisle.


With a life of eight centuries, almost from the foundation of Thessaloniki (3the century. e.g.) until the Early Byzantine Era (5the century. A.D.). It is surrounded by Philippou streets, Unknown Soldier, Olympus and Macedonian Defense. The city market has been revealed, the mint, the conservatory (23rd-3rd cent. A.D.) and a room that may have been the city archive. also, part of the palaneum (baths, tavern and brothel) with circular sweat rooms and heating furnaces, as well as a plethora of mobile finds. The conservatory, the square and the crypt host various events (concerts, exhibitions etc.).


It was built on a Roman building at the end of the 5th and beginning of the 6th century. as the catholicon of the monastery of Latomo. The 1430 turned into a mosque, while the 1921 attributed to Christian worship. Originally a square building with a niche to the east and an entrance to the west. Small square apartments at the four corners of the building gave the plan of the main church the shape of an isosceles cross. Today the entire western part of the temple is missing and the entrance is on the south side. The niche mosaic is preserved, 5th-6th c., and frescoes of the 12th c.


Its niche is early Christian, close to the years of Achiropoiitou, in the 5th century. The monument remained Christian even after the Fall.


It was built in the 7th century. in the ruins of a large five-aisled basilica of the 5th c. and evolved into the core of a wider complex of buildings of an administrative and religious nature, being the metropolitan temple of the city, dedicated to the name of the Wisdom of God. The 1524 turned into a mosque, the 1890 it burned too 1907-1909 was restored. He was dedicated to Christian worship after his release 1912. It is a rectangular building with a central cross-shaped core, roofed with a dome and surrounded by a portico on three sides, while in the east the tripartite sanctuary is formed. In its current form, completely different from the original, the monument preserves part of its painted decoration, mosaics 8th-12th c. in the dome and sanctuary, as well as frescoes of the 11th c. in the splint.


It was built 1028 by the novice Christoforos, according to the inscription on the marble lintel of the main west entrance. After the capture of the city, the 1430, turned into a mosque, while it was again attributed to Christian worship after its release 1912. It is an elongated building with a narthex on the west side, square main temple and three-aisled sanctuary on the east side. In the plan of the main church, four columns and the same number of arches form an inscribed cross, the center of which is covered by an octagonal dome. Lower domes cover the two ends of the narthex. The frescoes of the temple date back to the 11th and 14th centuries.


Universal, probably of the monastery of Theotokos Peribleptou, which was built around the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century., by Metropolitan Iakovos of Thessaloniki. During Ottoman rule it was turned into a mosque. It is a rectangular building with a narthex, domed main temple in the shape of an inscribed cross and a tripartite sanctuary with a pentagonal niche. A smaller dome rises in the middle of the roof of the narthex. Two chapels are attached to the eastern ends of the north and south sides, which formed the endings of the portico that surrounded the temple in its original form. The preserved wall painting in the chancel and the rectory dates back to the beginning of the 14th century. The restoration of the temple by the 9th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities – reconstruction of the damaged parts of the masonry, repair of the stonework of vaulted structures and domes, replacement of roof tiles – it did not alter the character of the monument.


Catholic, probably the monastery of Panagia. It was built 1310-1314 by Patriarch Niphon I, according to an inscription on the marble lintel of the entrance and the three monograms on the suffixes of three pilasters of the west face of the temple. Newer scientific studies place the completion of its construction at 1329. The temple was converted into a mosque in the decade 1520-1530. It is a rectangular building which consists of the main church in the shape of an inscribed cross, triconch sanctuary to the east, portico that surrounds the other sides of the main temple and a vestibule to the west of the portico. The painted decoration is a combination of mosaics in the upper part and frescoes in the lower part of the temple. The mosaics were made during the Paleologues era and are related to works of Constantinople. The frescoes date from the same period.


Catholic of a monastery from the beginning of the 14th century. Its name is witnessed in two patriarchal documents and is due either to a possible founder from the family of the Orphans or to the charitable role of Saint Nicholas towards the orphans. It is a share of the Vlatadon monastery and functioned as a church throughout the period of the Turkish occupation. The core of the rectangular building is an elongated wood-roofed hall, the three sides of which are surrounded by a P-shaped portico, while on the eastern side the three-sided alcove of the sanctuary is formed. The marble iconostasis and frescoes dating back to the decade are preserved 1310-1320.


Near the northwest city walls. The original name of the temple, the construction of which was completed shortly after 1315, she is unknown. It belongs to the type of compound cross-inscribed quadrilaterals. The frescoes date back to space 1310-20.


On Theotokopoulou Street. Its name in the Byzantine Chronicles is unknown. The original church of the 14th century. it's almost gone today, after the intervening repairs and additions. It was a single-room small Byzantine building with a pitched roof, which was surrounded on three sides by a P-shaped portico. To the east they ended up in two chapels. The frescoes inside the church date back to b’ half of the 14th c.


Dedicated today to Metamorfosis, NW from the Triumphal Arch of Galerius. It belongs to the domed square type and its frescoes are from the 14th century.

H MONH BΛATAΔΩN (tel. 2310 209913)

Only the catholicon is preserved from the monastery. It must have been named after its founders, brothers Blatades, Dorotheo and Marko. It was dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior. The katholikon has undergone renovations that altered its original form. The central core presents a peculiarity unusual for cruciform temples, because it rests on the walls of the temple and on pillars in the west. This 14th century church. – its construction was completed on 1339 – it was a retrofit of an older one, parts of which were preserved in the new building. So, the singularity was imposed because there was a pre-existing building, probably Middle Byzantine.


Catholic monastery of the 14th century. Initially it was identified with the catholicon of Nea Moni, however, newer research identifies the temple with the Akapniou monastery, dedicated to Christ. After the 1430 turned into a mosque. The main temple, domed, it has a triangular shape in plan view. To the right and left of the eastern niche are attached two pericentric domed buildings. The narthex is attached to the west of the main church, while at the eastern end of the north and south porticos of the peristoum that surrounds it, two dome-covered chapels are formed. Remains of the wall painting are preserved, mainly in the narthex. The current form of the church is the result of an extensive restoration that was completed in 1961.


East from Koule-Kafe square. It is one of the rarest examples of Byzantine baths, which in their time were a manifestation of social life and a source of pleasure. It dates back to the end of the 13th century.


At the corner of Egnatia and Benizelou streets. It was built 1467-1468, was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt 1620.


Near Kassandrou Street. It was built 1484 and is an early Ottoman mosque of the inverted T type

TO BEI HAMAM (1444),

on Egnatia Street, near the Ancient Agora.


near the church of the Holy Apostles.


and THE GENI HAMAM, on Kassandrou Street.

THE MPEZESTENI (fabric market)

In the center of the market, where luxurious fabrics were sold. It is located at the corner of Benizelos and Solomos streets and was built at the end of the 15th century. It is a rectangular building, covered with 6 lead-covered domes in two rows and has four entrances. Inside it had small shops.


At the intersection of D. Gounari and Mitropolis. At the end of the 12th c. there was a monastery dedicated to the Virgin here. Today it is a three-aisled basilica with a nave and a portico on the west side. Inside it has frescoes from the 18th century.


Small two-bay building with its eastern side attached to the interior of the triangular tower of the Byzantine city wall, which was demolished 1873.


At the junction of Iulianos and Athenas streets. It was probably founded in the 14th century. from someone from Lagoudiati. The 15th century. it was a Catholic nunnery. The present church comes from its renovation 1802. On the iconostasis there is the icon of the Virgin of Tricherousa from the 16th century. They are kept, yet, in the church icons of the 18th and 19th centuries.


On Apostolou Pavlou Street. Tο 1738 it was a chapel of the Metropolis of Thessaloniki. The current church is a three-aisled basilica.


At the intersection of Egnatias and Sokratous streets, known from sources of the 14th c. It is a three-aisled basilica with a nave.


At the corner of Egnatia and Paleon Patras streets. It is a post-Byzantine church dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin. We know its history from the middle of the 18th century. The icon in his shrine is a work of the 16th century.


At the corner of Egnatia and Agapenos streets. The history of the temple is known from 1531. Three-aisled basilica with gynaeconite and narthex, its current form is the result of its repair 1841. In the temple, remarkable works of micro-artwork are kept.


Near Agios Athanasios. He was a member of the Simonopetra monastery in Agioreita. There are remarkable images from the 17th century, 18th and 19th c., which represent a painting of Mount Athos.


At the junction of Kon. Karamanlis (Nea Egnatia), Papanastasiou and Cleanthos. It is dedicated to the memory of the thousands of Greek Jews of Thessaloniki, who were exterminated by the German occupiers during the Occupation.


in the area of ​​the International Exhibition.


in the homonymous square.


On Vas street. Olga, representative examples of late 19th and early 20th century eclectic architecture. The mansions C stand out. Modiano, Ahmet Kapandzi and Mehmet Kapandzi, the Casa Bianca, the Villa Mordoch.


In the square of the White Tower. It was designed 1940 by the architect – urban planner Konstantinos Doxiadis and is the seat of the State Theater of Northern Greece. The renovated three-story building – develops on surface 11.000 sq.m. and has luxurious rooms – is one of the most modern scenes in Europe. The theater room (capacity 800 persons) is offered, also, for dance and opera performances, film screenings and conference events.


(25of March and Paralia, tel. 2310 895800,895938). Magnificent yet modest versatile building, with area 26.000 sq.m., nine floors and eleven weight levels. It is a modern and functional hive of culture, with scope throughout Northern Greece and the neighboring Balkan countries.


The historic district – the only one saved from his great fire 1917 – next to the port, after the renovations and restorations of the buildings, turned into an entertainment venue (restaurants, taverns, bars and nightclubs).


Multicenter of culture and entertainment, at the Hatzigiannakis mill, at the western entrance to the city.


The only – it was built 1886 by monks of the order of Saint Vincent de Paul – functioned as a seminary until 1913 and then, until the 1978, saw a variety of uses (headquarters, hospital, refugee center). The band – consists of the restored original building and modern building facilities – has, including, theatrical scenes, it hosts the State Museum of Contemporary Art and is available for cultural events.